Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Australia include Usman Khawaja for Boxing Day Test




By Nadene Smith

HOBART, Australia (TheSportsNEXT) December 18, 2012: After losing skipper Michael Clarke to a hamstring injury during Hobart Test, the Australia selectors have included left-hand top-order batsman Usman Khawaja in the squad for the Boxing Day Test against Sri Lanka.


The selectors have also included Tasmanian bowler Jackson Bird in the squad for injured Ben Hilfenhaus and there are healthy chances that the pacer may make his Test debut at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

The two players have made it to the 13-player squad but while Jackson Bird almost has the chance to get selected for the Melbourne Test, Usman Khawaja may still have to sit out because Michael Clarke is working extensively to regain his fitness for the second Test.

Michael Clarke told reporters, “It's not too bad. I've got a bit of time leading up to the Boxing Day Test, I'll be having plenty of treatment but I'll be confident I'll be right for Boxing Day. I'm always going to be positive because I know I'm in great hands with Alex [Kountouris], I know how good a physio he is, I know how good my physio is in Sydney over the next few days. They'll communicate and I'm really confident with eight days turnaround, I'll be giving myself every opportunity to be right. Mickey and the selectors will give me as much time as required leading into the game. My preparation will be a bit different in the lead up to this Test match but I've done a fair bit of batting so I'm confident if I can do everything in my power, I'll be right for Boxing Day. It's a strain, to what level I don't know, the scans were pretty positive and I'm in really good hands."

Talking about inclusion of Usman Khawaja in the squad, selector John Inverarity said, “Usman turns 26 today, just one week younger than Jackson Bird, and he has been in good form this season. He has played especially well on occasions when conditions for batting have been very difficult. If Michael is not able to take his place in the side then Shane Watson will captain the team. Shane acquitted himself well when he deputised for Michael in the ODI series in the Caribbean earlier this year in March."

The 13-man Australian squad for Melbourne Test includes David Warner, Ed Cowan, Phillip Hughes, Shane Watson, Michael Clarke (captain), Michael Hussey, Usman Khawaja, Matthew Wade (wk), Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Jackson Bird, and Nathan Lyon.

No comments:

Related Posts