Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Roger Federer breezes to 40th win at ATP World Tour Finals




By Ashley Williams

LONDON, England (TheSportsNEXT) November 7, 2012: World number two Roger Federer of Switzerland began his quest for seventh season-ending title with comfortable victory over world number nine Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia in his first match of the ATP World Tour Finals at O2 Arena on Tuesday.


Federer saw off Tipsarevic in just 69 minutes with score of 6-3 6-1.

Federer, who is competing at the ATP World Tour Finals for the 11th consecutive season, is also looking to match John McEnroe in the list of all-time title-leaders with 77 titles.

This was a record 40th victory for Roger Federer at the ATP World Tour Finals as the Swiss tennis maestro is looking ripe for a seventh season-ending title.

Roger Federer never looked in a spot of bother as he gave away only eight of his service points as eighth seeded Janko Tipsarevic could seldom show up against the legendary player.

Roger Federer’s victory over Janko Tipsarevic also propelled the Swiss world number two to break record of Ivan Lendl of winning most number of matches at the ATP World Tour Finals.

Talking about his game against Janko Tipsarevic, Roger Federer told ATP, “I'm happy with my level of play today against Janko, who is obviously a good player. I think it's nice conditions here. I've had a good year. It's true, I feel like I'm striking the ball well after today. I hope it's a sign for more to come hopefully.”

Janko Tipsarevic has never beaten Roger Federer in his ATP career and the pressure told on his game on Tuesday when he committed as many as 21 unforced errors as he slumped to sixth defeat against the Swiss.

Janko Tipsarevic told ATP, “I think Roger was just too good. I have not been feeling great for the last couple of days, but even in the previous matches that I played Roger, I wasn't having that much success, as you can see. I definitely won't blame the loss today on my medical situation, if you would call it like this. I probably would have lost anyway, but the problem was that he got an early break in both sets. Everybody knows that when Roger starts leading, he is probably the best player in the world when he's a break up early in the set. I gave it my best shot. It just didn't work today.”









No comments:

Related Posts