Sunday, September 23, 2012

Caroline Wozniacki wins her first title for 2012

By Liu Shiwen
 






SEOUL, Korea (TheSportsNEXT) September 23, 2012: Former world number one woman tennis player Caroline Wozniacki won her first WTA title of the current year on Sunday when she floored Kaia Kanepi in a one-sided final of the Korean Open.

 

Once the top tennis player and now the 11th in the WTA Tour Rankings, Caroline Wozniacki displayed her true color against the Estonian who had defeated her in French Open third year this year.

Caroline Wozniacki needed only an hour to complete an absolute victory with the score line of 6-1 6-0.

It was the 19th WTA career title for Dane player Wozniacki, who finally found reasons to match her fiancée Rory McIlroy who has been witnessing great sporting year.

Caroline Wozniacki told reporters after her victory, "I just want to build up for the next season. And it's been a long season so I want to have a holiday and relax. I don't think about ranking. I'm just happy I won the tournament. I would like to enjoy that. I want to be positive, and that's what I'm thinking about right now."

It is important to mention here that Caroline Wozniacki had won her last WTA title at New Haven in August 2011 and it was her first WTA title in about 13 months.

Caroline Wozniacki completed the romp in just 62 minutes and lost only one game during the whole match against third seeded Kanepi.

Wozniacki stated, "Today I did well at turning defence to offence and offence to defence. That's actually a strength of mine. I'm very pleased with how everything turned out”.

"I want to enjoy it and be positive - so that's what I'm thinking about right now. I want to build up for the next season and hopefully my results this week will help me move forward and get back to playing my best", she added.




Kaia Kanepi had been catering to an Achilles injury which has been making her to pull out of all 10 of her tournaments between French Open 2012 and this week and also forced her out of the Wimbledon 2012, the London Olympics 2012, and the US Open 2012.

She told reporters, "My season has definitely had its ups and downs because of my injuries, but last year was the same, and my whole career has been a little bit up and down as well. It's nothing new and I'm used to it."

Now both the finalists will participate in the Pan Pacific Open starting in tokyo this week where they are seeded 10th and 15th, respectively. In their first match, Caroline Wozniacki would be up against Bojana Jovanovski while Kaia Kanepi will play against Silvia Soler-Espinosa.

No comments:

Related Posts