Monday, July 23, 2012

Rabia Ishaq looks up to late friend for motivation

By Afshan Younis


KARACHI (TheSportsNext) July 23, 2012: As London 2012 Games are just around the corner, one of the two Pakistani female athletes, Rabia Ishaq has a commitment of her own.

Rabia Ishaq, who is a long-distance runner, is aiming at running at the London 2012 for her friend and colleague who recently passed away.



Rabia Ishaq will run in the 800 meters competition at the Olympics which is scheduled for August 8, 2012 and she wants to do well in that competition for Mubeen Akhtar, one of the top athletes in Pakistan who lost her life in June this year.

Rabia Ishaq looked very well aware of her potential when she told reporters here the other day, “I am not a medal contender I know that but I want to dedicate my Olympic appearance to Mubeen who was a close friend and who always wished to compete in the Games”.


Rabia Ishaq



Mubeen Akhtar created history at the National Championships when she became the country’s fastest female sprinter by winning the 100 meters and 200 meters sprints but lost her life in an accident occurred at her home when she fell down from the stairs and sustained serious head injuries.

Recalling her good time with Mubeen Akhtar, Rabia Ishaq told reporters, “She was overjoyed when I got a wildcard entry for the Olympics. Mubeen is the motivation for me to try to do well in my event. I want to make her, my coach Bushra Parveen and my country proud of me.”

Pakistan has never been renowned for quality athletes and apart from the three gold, three silver and two bronze medals won by the country’s hockey team, the Pakistani athletes have won only two bronze medals in Olympics competitions.

No comments:

Related Posts