Thursday, November 8, 2012

ATP World Tour Finals: Juan Martin del Potro keeps SF fight alive




By Ashley Williams

LONDON, England (TheSportsNEXT) November 9, 2012: World number seven Juan Martin del Potro of Argentine kept the ATP World Tour Finals Semi-Finals fight alive on Thursday when he defeated world number nine Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia by 6-0 6-4 in 71 minutes at The O2 Arena in London.


Juan Martin del Potro, who has won one of his two matches at the ATP World Tour Finals, will have to beat world number two Roger Federer of Switzerland in his final round-robin match of the tournament on Saturday to make sure he joins the Swiss into Semi-Finals of the event.

World number give David Ferrer of Spain had defeated Juan Martin del Potro and now the Argentinean is in a must-win position and he would take inspiration from his victory over Roger Federer last month in final of the Basel Open 2012 last month.

Juan Martin del Potro looked completely a different player on Thursday when compared with his previous outing at the ATP World Tour Finals against David Ferrer as he never gave any window of opportunity to Janko Tipsarevic who has already crashed out of the tournament after facing two defeats in as many matches.

The big Argentinean, who is sixth seeded at the ATP World Tour Finals where he ended as runner-up in 2009, smashed six aces and clinched 84 percent of his first serve points as he turned the Group B alive.

The Saturday’s matches will decide who is going to join Roger Federer into semi-finals of the season-ending ATP World Tour Finals. David Ferrer and Juan Martin del Potro both have got realistic chance of making it into the last-four stage where the Spaniard is better placed as he is going to face the weakest opponent in the tournament in shape of Janko Tipsarevic while the Argentinean has his work cut out against the legendary Roger Federer.

Talking about his first victory at the current tournament, Juan Martin del Potro told ATP, "I'm glad to beat Janko tonight. I play much better than my first match here. A win in two sets gives me a chance to go to the next match. I know if I want to beat Roger, I should play much better than today and my first match."

With this victory, Juan Martin del Potro has surged to 4-0 lifetime record against Janko Tipsarevic and won his 64th match of the year as against 16 defeats. He has also won four titles this season.

Janko Tipsarevic told ATP about what went wrong for him against del Potro, “I wouldn't really blame my loss on the sickness. I am generally feeling fine. The problem was that I was sick and I didn't play a lot of tennis lately. I feel sorry that I don't play my best tennis here in London, which is probably the best event of the year. But I fought hard to be in a position to come to this event. I'll just do my best for one more match.”

Juan Martin del Potro had some support in the crowd at The O2 Arena where his fellow countryman footballer Sergio Aguero was there to buck him up. Following the match, Juan Martin del Potro and Sergio Aguero, who represented Manchester City in the English Premier League, exchanged some shots at The O2 Arena court.













No comments:

Related Posts