Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Mark Boucher finds cricket ‘too risky’ after eye surgery

By Ashley Williams


LONDON (TheSportsNext) August 8, 2012: Former South African wicketkeeper-batsman Mark Boucher, on Wednesday, put an end to all speculations about his possible return to international cricket after the eye surgery.

Mark Boucher was forced to retire from international cricket after he suffered from an eye injury which made the South African legendary cricketer to lose the lens, iris, and pupil days ahead of the South Africa tour to England 2012.



Mark Boucher made a public appearance on Wednesday for the first time after getting seriously injured during a cricket match last month and made it clear that his immediate return to cricket was highly unlikely after undergoing a series of surgeries.

It is important to mention here that Mark Boucher, 35, has represented South Africa in 147 Test matches and holds the world record of 555 Test dismissals.

Mark Boucher said in a statement issued after his press conference here, “It is unlikely that I will play any professional cricket again in the near future, which is very unfortunate as I was looking forward to contributing as a player for the Cobras. The risk of additional damage to my left eye or even damage to the other eye doesn’t warrant it.”

 “It has been a difficult time for me mentally and physically. I have lost the lens, iris and pupil in my left eye. There was severe damage to my retina... physically, at times, I have been in a lot of pain. I accept that the healing process is a long one and that attaining some vision in my left eye will take some time and a lot of patience”, the former Proteas top performer added.

He further stated, “Injuries happen and this could have happened earlier on in my career. I am incredibly grateful for the length of career that I have had and the amazing things I have experienced and people I have met during that time. This is just another challenge in my life and something that I will be working to overcome.”

"It does get uncomfortable at times and being a sportsman, I want to be active and outdoors but, without a pupil, I find any amount of sunlight very harsh and have thus been restricted to the confines of my home”, he added.

Mark Boucher also revealed his plans to set up a non-profit company to safeguard the extinction of rhinoceros in South Africa and Africa besides kicking off a wine business with his old friend Jacques Kallis.

No comments:

Related Posts